Monday, November 30, 2009

Smaller steps go a Long way!

“Resolutions are meant to be broken”- is this not something most of us have been hearing and in course of time believing in it too. Atleast for me, it has been true. The more I try to get organized, the more I get clumsy. There are so many promises that I make to myself almost everyday, be it very trivial from getting up early in the morning to more sensitive ones!


Anything done for 21 days becomes a practice may be a well known fact but I have never been able to reach it even once. Everytime I break it, I feel bad; but that is not it! I will be more persistent. Start all over again. The cycle goes on and on, that sometimes it has been years and I still don’t stick to them. It even leads to guilt sometimes that I am not able to do, not what others want to, instead what I myself want.

Why Is that so? Is it because I don’t give them that much importance? In that case why don’t I just discard them and move on? Why do I religiously make it from the start everytime it breaks? So, these rules or promises that I make to myself mean a lot to me but then they are easily broken as no one has forced it on me. So I take them easy. The mind has been tuned all these days to be controlled by someone that when I am my own boss, it becomes even easy to break my rules.

So, I made one more rule for myself and it kind of works better. Make your promises small. Let me not say – “I will never again get angry on anything or I will never again get emotional with anyone”. Instead, let it be “ I will be as pleasant as possible today!!, I will get up early tomorrow.

In this case it is easier to get back to the routine even if you miss it. Following it for one full week and skipping it gives me a feel to ditch it completely. And as I said I so desperately want it to happen that I start it again and that becomes an indefinite loop.

One step at a time is always better than a lifetime approach. Atleast for me it works better for now and for people like me you can sure try this out…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Preethi,

    I like your blog..Both your natural thinking and your spontaneous writing are excellent,superb...Keep up your good work..

    Gomathi

    ReplyDelete

Your Thought on this....